There has been much speculation about the mental capacity of the 45th President of the United States. So much so that many Democrats as well as even some Republicans have hinted at the possibility of invoking the 25th Amendment to remove him from office. Section 4 of the 25th Amendment reads as follows and does in fact give authority to the Vice President and Congress to remove the President from office if they feel he is unable to discharge the powers and duties of the office:
“Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.”
The question is, however, does President Trump fall into the category of being unable to discharge the powers and duties of the office? While there are thousands of ways one could measure his ability to act as President, I think that one question can answer this all… Is President Trump insane?
So I decided to pay a visit to the MayoClinic website and look up the signs of insanity. Here they are, in a list which I decided to add a few remarks to:
- Feeling sad or down – YES! There are reports that Trump is miserable in the Oval office and vacations so often because he is unhappy with his circumstances.
- Confused thinking or reduced ability to concentrate – YES! There are numerous reports of the President being unable to focus for more than 30 seconds and requiring that his briefings be put into bullet point format with graphics and few words.
- Excessive fears or worries, or extreme feelings of guilt – YES! There are multiple cases in which President Trump shows clear signs of fear and worry, especially when it comes to the Russian investigation or the release of his tax returns.
- Extreme mood changes of highs and lows – YES! Just by reading the President’s Tweets over the course of a typical morning, one can usually identify mood changes by the President. There are numerous reports of him having dangerous mood swings, or changing his opinion on major issues with the flick of a switch. Those in Washington say that the President’s opinion on a topic changes depending on the last person he spoke to.
- Withdrawal from friends and activities – NO He’s still golfing multiple times per week.
- Significant tiredness, low energy or problems sleeping – YES! There have been reports that the President tires easily. In fact, after just three days of his first foreign trip overseas the press picked up on this fact. Even at the G20 Summit he had his daughter Ivanka sit in for him at one point.
- Detachment from reality (delusions), paranoia or hallucinations – YES! No need to explain this one!
- Inability to cope with daily problems or stress – YES! It appears as if his main coping mechanism is posting Twitter rants. He often will tweet 7, 8 or 9 times in a row ranting about and attacking different people, ideologies, or groups.
- Trouble understanding and relating to situations and to people – YES! His inability to relate to groups such as the LGBT community, America’s Muslim population and women have come back to haunt him time and time again. He seems to be unable to comprehend simple conversations he has, oftentimes claiming that an individual told him one thing while that individual claims to have said something entirely different. In some cases he even makes up conversations.
- Alcohol or drug abuse – NO While there are reports of him abusing cocaine years ago, there are no indications of alcohol or drug use other than his odd behavior at times.
- Major changes in eating habits – UNKNOWN
- Sex drive changes – UNKNOWN and don’t even want to think about it.
- Excessive anger, hostility or violence – YES! No Explanation needed. Just read his daily tweets or watch his seldom held press conferences.
- Suicidal thinking – UNKNOWN
I’m no medical doctor, but I’m pretty sure that the evaluation above shows that President Trump has the symptoms of an insane individuals. Let’s hear your thoughts in the comments section below.