Coming off of what may have been Donald Trump’s worst day in office as President, things just seem to be snowballing for him from here. Following the horrific tweet he posted yesterday morning, attacking ‘Morning Joe’ co-hosts Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski, we are learning that the tweets were just the tip of a huge iceberg.
This morning, both Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski decided to pen an editorial for the Washington Post titled ‘Donald Trump is Not Well‘. In it were several bombshells related to what may now be the President’s most infamous tweet.
“During the campaign, the Republican nominee called Mika ‘neurotic’ and promised to attack us personally after the campaign ended. This year, top White House staff members warned that the National Enquirer was planning to publish a negative article about us unless we begged the president to have the story spiked. We ignored their desperate pleas,” the two ‘Morning Joe’ co-hosts wrote.
Both co-hosts were supposed to be on vacation starting today, but they decided to drop in to their own show on MSNBC to provide some insight into what has been going on over the last 24 hours. They also elaborated on what they claimed to have been blackmail on the part of the Trump administration towards them and their families.
Brzezinski recalled that her teenage children had been harassed by the National Enquirer and were told directly by three White House aides that unless Mika and Joe called the White House to apologize for their negative comments on their show, a negative story about them would run.
“I had three people at the very top of the administration calling me. And my response was ‘Are you kidding me?’. I’m not going to do it. The calls kept coming and coming: ‘You need to call, you need to call, please call. Come on Joe just pick up the phone and call him.’ It’s blackmail,” Mika explained.
Scarborough went on to say that he was told that the article would be canned if they ‘begged the President’. When the President saw Mika and Joe discussing this matter on their show this morning, he immediately tweeted the following:
“Watched low rated @Morning_Joe for first time in long time. FAKE NEWS. He called me to stop a National Enquirer article. I said no! Bad show”
Yep, that’s right, the President of the United States pretty much just admitted to the fact these allegations are true. Joe Scarborough promptly replied with the following:
Yet another lie. I have texts from your top aides and phone records. Also, those records show I haven't spoken with you in many months. https://t.co/TZWiElo6Gs
— Joe Scarborough (@JoeNBC) June 30, 2017
Certainly blackmail against the press by a man running for President should get the attention of the GOP in Congress, right? I guess we will have to wait and see. Don’t hold your breath!