A Woman in Florida Glues Her Own Eye Shut by Mistake

Share

Over the hundreds of thousands of years that humans have been in existence, they have come up with a lot of ways to get themselves into sticky situations.

Though those situations are usually only figuratively sticky, Katherine Gaydos’ was literally sticky as well.

The Florida native glued her eye shut, or rather, someone glued it shut for her.  Allegedly, the person at fault was a friend using a leaf blower.  The leaf blower blew debris into Gaydos’ eye, so she asked the friend to reach into her purse and apply her eye drops for her.  Unfortunately, the friend accidentally got out nail glue instead and administered a couple drops to her eye.

It was instantly painful and uncomfortable.  Gaydos described how it felt at the time, saying, “It’s stuck to my eyelids and my eyeball and it really hurts.”

Things got even worse for Gaydos when she was denied medical treatment.  After her eye was glued shut, she first tried to pry the eyelids apart with her fingers, but they wouldn’t budge.  She then called 911 and, when that didn’t work, sought out the opinion of a doctor.  She was initially treated with an antibiotic salve, but when it was determined that she didn’t have health insurance and was unemployed, she was asked to leave.

“He was talking about doing surgery to try and save my eye, but now I don’t know what to do — I don’t have a job, no insurance or any money,” Gaydos said of the experience.  From there, she considered going to the emergency room where she was confident she legally could not be refused treatment, but before she could, a doctor who heard about her case via local media contacted her.

She willingly accepted his offer to treat her condition, and the treatment went off without a hitch.

“It was the same office, but a different doctor.  He put Lidocaine above and below my eye and just pulled on it until it finally opened,” Gaydos explained.

Gaydos’ eye was glued shut for nine days in all.  Fortunately, the doctors don’t think there will be any permanent damage and her full sight should be restored after some remaining glue is removed from her cornea.

This is one of those incidents that initially seemed silly but became surprisingly serious.  And though there might be some big lessons to be learned from all of this, it’s very difficult to say what it is.  I guess, at the very least, it’s “don’t keep any adhesives in your purse.”

COMMENTS: